“No excuse” for behaviour of former karting rival Corberi · RaceFans

by Oct 8, 20200 comments

[ad_1]

George Russell says Luca Corberi should be banned from racing for his actions in last week’s FIA world karting championship final, and said he was surprised by the behaviour of a driver he regarded as a “pretty clean” rival.

Corberi is facing an investigation by the FIA after he threw a bumper from his kart at Paolo Ippolito during the race at the Lonato circuit, and attacked his rival in the paddock afterwards.

“I raced against Luca for a good three or four years in my karting career,” said Russell in today’s FIA press conference. “I didn’t really know that side of him, really.

“He was always pretty clean and he was always a good driver, always at the front end of the grid. And I’ve never seen that side of him ever before.”

Corberi and Ippolito were both disqualified for the incident which put Corberi out of the race, footage of which was not broadcast during the race.

“I don’t know what happened prior to the actions he took,” said Russell. “I know that part of a circuit was an incredibly fast part of the track and for him to be that far into the tyre barrier, something pretty substantial must have happened, which also must’ve been very dangerous. But like I say, there’s no excuse for the actions he took afterwards.”

Russell described Corberi’s reaction as “absolutely unacceptable.”

“First and foremost putting himself in a huge amount of danger standing at that point in the track. Ultimately it puts someone else in a huge amount of danger as well with the actions he took when he was on-track.

“Obviously following up what happened in the pits was unacceptable in any walk of life. Motorsport is incredibly passionate but there’s no excuse for anybody to react in that manner. So I trust the FIA are going to impose the correct penalties. I know that he’s already stated that he will be stopping karting and he apologises for his actions. So definitely a ban should be coming his way if he were to be continuing.”

Russell’s team mate Nicholas Latifi said Corberi’s act of throwing a bumper from his kart at Ippolito while his rival was still racing could have had serious consequences.

“People that maybe don’t know a lot about motor sports, those bumpers are not exactly light, they are quite heavy. And even though the cars don’t look like they’re going very fast, it is something quite severe. They don’t have halos, they’re not covered. So if he did hit his target like he was intending to it could have been quite bad.

“As for the actions in the pit lane, there’s really no place for that inside motor sports. So I think the FIA will take the actions they see it necessary.

Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

“I’m sure most people have seen this already kind of said he won’t be taking part in motor sport anymore. Whatever happens officially by the FIA, I haven’t heard anything yet, but I assume they will pull some kind of sanction and definitely a ban of some sort.”

Max Verstappen, another former rival of Corberi, attended a Formula E event alongside the stewards following a physical altercation with Esteban Ocon at the 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix. He also criticised Corberi’s response.

“I raced against him back in the day because we were the same age,” he said. “Initially, I saw the video just of what happened in the paddock.

“And then afterwards I saw what actually happened on track as well. I guess it’s very clear that that’s not what you want to happen. It was also pretty unsafe.”

Verstappen said Corberi’s actions were “unacceptable”, but noted “he also spoke out already himself that he found it unacceptable. hat kind of punishment you want to give him? I don’t know. I’m not the right guy to answer that.

“But I think everybody saw that it was unacceptable, I think he said himself that he’s gonna stop racing.

“Let’s see what’s going to happen. It’s not my hands anyway, I don’t want to be involved too much, but it was clearly very dangerous what would happen and hopefully it’s a lesson for everyone that those actions are not allowed.”

Another of Corberi’s former rivals in the F1 paddock, Lance Stroll, said the incident needed to be “heavily addressed” because of the example it showed to younger drivers: “I think he was completely out of line, behaviour like that can’t be tolerated in our sport, it shows a bad example to the young generation.

“We fight so hard on track, there’s just no need for violence off the track. That’s how I see it and, you know, I believe the FIA are going to handle it as they should. And something like that needs to be heavily addressed and there needs to be a severe penalty for his actions.”

Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

2020 Eifel Grand Prix

Browse all 2020 Eifel Grand Prix articles

[ad_2]

Source link

Read More 

Schumacher drives father’s Jordan 191

Schumacher drives father’s Jordan 191

[ad_1] In an iconic moment, at Silverstone yesterday, Mick Schumacher took to the wheel of the Jordan in which his father made his F1 debut thirty years ago.The Haas driver was on tyre testing duty for Pirelli at Silverstone, when, during the lunch break, Sky Sports...

3 Performance Wagons that give Supercars a run for their money

3 Performance Wagons that give Supercars a run for their money

[ad_1] The humble station wagon has always been in the shadows of the traditional family sedans and the versatile modern crossover SUVs.With the long-roof body style only representing about two percent of the total vehicle sales in the US, it is evident that the...

British GP: Sprint team notes – McLaren

British GP: Sprint team notes – McLaren

[ad_1] Lando Norris: "A good first sprint quali race! I think we achieved everything we could've hoped for today. We got ahead of one of the Red Bulls, which is a quicker car, but we managed to beat them off the start and over the first lap, so it was a fun...

Russell handed grid penalty – Pitpass.com

Russell handed grid penalty – Pitpass.com

[ad_1] George Russell has been handed a 3-place grid penalty for Sunday's British Grand Prix after being adjudged as causing the collision with Carlos Sainz.Having spoken with both drivers and viewed the relevant video evidence, the stewards founds that Russell and...

Leave a comment.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.