“Inconceivable” that Red Bull, AlphaTauri run different engines in 2022 – F1

by Oct 9, 20200 comments

[ad_1]

Christian Horner says it is “inconceivable” that the Red Bull Racing and AlphaTauri teams will align with different power unit suppliers after Honda withdraws at the end of 2021.

Only on one occasion have the two teams had different engine partners – most recently in 2018, when RBR was still with Renault and the then Toro Rosso team had already moved to Honda.

However, the current business model is built around the two teams sharing technology, such as gearboxes and associated rear suspension.

“I think it’s very much a two-for-one scenario,” said Horner. “So due to the synergy projects, due to the integration of the drivetrain, then it’s inconceivable to think that the two teams could operate on different power units.

“That introduces all kinds of complexities particularly with IP etc, from the different suppliers. So it will be way from ideal to have both teams on different power unit solutions.”

AlphaTauri boss Franz Tost agreed that the two teams have to continue to share a power supplier, with the Faenza outfit having now closed its gearbox department.

“We don’t want to use a different power unit to what Red Bull Racing is using because we want to continue with the synergy process,” said the Austrian.

“I don’t want that we at AlphaTauri start once more designing our own gearbox, the complete rear suspension, that kind of stuff. We have a very close cooperation with Red Bull Technology, and we want to continue with them, and definitely want to have the same engine.”

Horner stressed that a decision on what engine the teams will use in 2020 would be made before the end of this year.

“We need to consider all our options,” he said. “A team like Red Bull is not a standard customer team, the team’s aspirations are extremely high, it wants to win, it wants to compete and win world championships.

“So we need to take the time to do our due diligence on the options that are available to us, in order to finalise our thinking, certainly by the end of the season, and most definitely before the end of the year. Obviously we’ve got to consider all the options, and then make decisions following that.”

Horner conceded that power unit options are limited, with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff having made it clear that the manufacturer won’t supply any others.

“There are no new manufacturers lining up to come into F1,” said Horner. “I think Toto in his earlier conference made it clear that Mercedes are not keen to supply an engine. So that limits your choice to therefore two current suppliers in the sport.

“We want to compete and we want to win world championships. That’s the reason that Red Bull is in the sport. That’s what it’s here to do. And we can only do that with a competitive power unit. And that’s where we need to take our time as I say, and do the necessary investigation and due diligence.”

Regarding a possible reunion with former partner Renault, Horner added: “Obviously Renault have to be considered as a potential supplier in the future. I think Renault is a different organisation than the last time they supplied us.

“They have a new chairman who seems passionate about F1, which is good to see. And you know F1 needs that drive from the top of an organisation, that enthusiasm otherwise it’s impossible to achieve success in this sport.”

[ad_2]

Source link

Read More 

Accident between Hamilton and Verstappen ‘inevitable’

Accident between Hamilton and Verstappen ‘inevitable’

[ad_1] Hamilton and Verstappen’s first-lap collision at the British Grand Prix lit the fuse on their title battle, leading to fierce debate throughout F1 over who was to blame for the incident. Hamilton was hit with a 10-second time penalty after the stewards deemed...

Leave a comment.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *