Lewis Hamilton says he is “devastated” that he will miss out on this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for Covid-19.
The Mercedes driver’s team confirmed this morning he had tested positive for the virus on Monday, they day after he won the Bahrain Grand Prix.
“I’m devastated that I won’t be racing this weekend,” said Hamilton on social media. “Since we started the season in June my team and I have been taking all the precautions we possibly can and following the regulations everywhere we’ve been in order to stay safe.”
Hamilton last tested negative for the virus on Sunday. “Unfortunately, even though I returned three negative results this past week, I woke up yesterday morning with mild symptoms and requested another test which came back positive,” he said. “I’ve immediately gone into self-isolation for 10 days.”
Hamilton has already won this year’s world championship and has taken victory in 11 of the 15 races so far this year.
“I’m gutted not to be able to race this weekend but my priority is to follow the protocols and advice to protect others,” he continued. “I’m really lucky that I feel okay with only mild symptoms and will do my best to stay fit and healthy.
“Please look after yourselves out there. You can never be too careful. These are worrying times for everyone and we need to make sure we are looking after ourselves and each other. Stay positive.”
Mercedes is yet to announce who will take his place for this weekend’s race.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
Browse all 2020 F1 season articles