F1 set for single three-day pre-season test in 2021 – F1

by Nov 12, 20200 comments

[ad_1]

Formula 1 is set to reduce pre-season testing to just three days in 2021, and is likely to shift the running from Spain to Bahrain.

After holding eight days’ worth of pre-season running for a number of years, F1 cut back to six days of testing for 2020, spread across two weeks at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

But with the 2020 cars set to be carried over into next year with minor development permitted, F1 teams have now agreed to cut back to just three days of testing before next season.

Autosport understands that the three-day test is likely to be held in Bahrain, but a final decision on the venue has not yet been taken.

The Bahrain International Circuit has not hosted F1 pre-season testing since 2014, when it was the third and final test venue before the start of the campaign with the new V6 hybrid power units.

Since then, the track has been used for two in-season tests following the grand prix, in both 2017 and 2019. It will stage two grands prix in the next month, helping to bolster the revised calendar.

F1 announced its provisional calendar for the 2021 season earlier this week, with a planned start in Australia on 21 March.

A date for the testing in Bahrain remains unclear, but it would be possible to stage the running in early March in a bid to extend the winter break following the late finish to the 2020 season.

Although teams are always happy to maximise any test running afforded to them, many said during the 2020 pre-season that even six days was more than necessary.

Racing Point technical chief Andrew Green said he would have been happy with four days of testing, believing it could create more unpredictability.

“I think it goes with what F1 want as far as trying to mix things up,” Green said in February. “Does everyone want ultra-reliable cars when they first hit the first race? I think a week for me – two days on, day off, two days – is fine, go do it, and see what happens.”

This was before it had been agreed to carry over the 2020 cars into 2021 to save costs as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Teams are only allowed to spend two ‘tokens’ to develop the chassis for next year, meaning they will already have a huge amount of data and information about the cars under their belts from this season.

The reduction in running will also be another cost-saving measure, as well as potentially easing the logistical challenge of getting to Australia as Bahrain is en route.

Autosport has produced a standalone special magazine to celebrate our 70th birthday. All current print subscribers will receive a copy for free. To pre-order your copy of the 196-page Autosport 70th Anniversary issue, please go to: autosport.com/autosport70th

[ad_2]

Source link

Read MoreĀ 

Schumacher drives father’s Jordan 191

Schumacher drives father’s Jordan 191

[ad_1] In an iconic moment, at Silverstone yesterday, Mick Schumacher took to the wheel of the Jordan in which his father made his F1 debut thirty years ago.The Haas driver was on tyre testing duty for Pirelli at Silverstone, when, during the lunch break, Sky Sports...

3 Performance Wagons that give Supercars a run for their money

3 Performance Wagons that give Supercars a run for their money

[ad_1] The humble station wagon has always been in the shadows of the traditional family sedans and the versatile modern crossover SUVs.With the long-roof body style only representing about two percent of the total vehicle sales in the US, it is evident that the...

British GP: Sprint team notes – McLaren

British GP: Sprint team notes – McLaren

[ad_1] Lando Norris: "A good first sprint quali race! I think we achieved everything we could've hoped for today. We got ahead of one of the Red Bulls, which is a quicker car, but we managed to beat them off the start and over the first lap, so it was a fun...

Russell handed grid penalty – Pitpass.com

Russell handed grid penalty – Pitpass.com

[ad_1] George Russell has been handed a 3-place grid penalty for Sunday's British Grand Prix after being adjudged as causing the collision with Carlos Sainz.Having spoken with both drivers and viewed the relevant video evidence, the stewards founds that Russell and...

Leave a comment.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *