Corberi apologises for “disgraceful” Lonato incident and says he will never race again · RaceFans

by Oct 7, 20200 comments

[ad_1]

Kart racer Luca Corberi has apologised for his actions during yesterday’s FIA karting world championship event, describing his behaviour as “disgraceful”.

Footage of Corberi throwing the bumper from his kart at rival Paolo Ippolito during the KZ final race has been widely circulated on social media. FIA karting commission president Felipe Massa, who shared an image from another video which appeared to show Corberi attacking Ippolito in the paddock after the race, said the incident would have “consequences”.

Corberi issued a statement on Monday. “I’d like to apologise to the motorsport community for what I’ve done,” he posted on a social media profile.

“There are no excuses to explain why I’ve done such a disgraceful act. This has been something I’ve never done in my 15 years of career, and I really hope it won’t be seen by anybody else in the future.”

The 23-year-old said he’d offered his licence to the stewards following the event.

“After the race, once I’ve been called by the sporting judges, I asked them to take my licence away because I was fully conscious about my irreparable mistakes,” he said. “But as they showed me, they don’t have the power for doing it, it’s written in the international rules. So please don’t be against them, they were just doing their work in the best way they could.

“For this reason I’ve decided to don’t take part to any other motorsport competition for the rest of my life, that’s not a self justice, it’s simply the right thing to do.”

Corberi’s track record includes victory in the CIK-FIA KF3 World Cup in 2012. He finished fifth in the championship for the same category that year, which was won by George Russell.

Last weekend race was Corberi’s first appearance in the KZ Final for three years, at the track operated by his parents.

“My family has been in karting since 1985, we’ve seen it grow, we’ve seen the best and the worst part of it,” he continued. “This episode will be remembered as one of the worst in our sport and that’s something I’ll never forget.

“I’m not asking any indulgence, because I don’t deserve it. I will totally agree with the punishments required.

“I’m writing today to say sorry even if it’s not enough, because after all the bad things that happened during this event, the worst ever has been done by me, a guy who love this sport and after the worst day of his life will still remember his good racing memories.”

The FIA announced today it is investigating the actions of Corberi and others in the incident at Lonato.

Update: The statement quoted above briefly disappeared from Corberi’s Facebook page, where it had been posted, and was later reinstated.

Image: Tony Kart via Instagram

Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

Other motorsport

Browse all other motorsport articles

[ad_2]

Source link

Read More 

Schumacher drives father’s Jordan 191

Schumacher drives father’s Jordan 191

[ad_1] In an iconic moment, at Silverstone yesterday, Mick Schumacher took to the wheel of the Jordan in which his father made his F1 debut thirty years ago.The Haas driver was on tyre testing duty for Pirelli at Silverstone, when, during the lunch break, Sky Sports...

3 Performance Wagons that give Supercars a run for their money

3 Performance Wagons that give Supercars a run for their money

[ad_1] The humble station wagon has always been in the shadows of the traditional family sedans and the versatile modern crossover SUVs.With the long-roof body style only representing about two percent of the total vehicle sales in the US, it is evident that the...

British GP: Sprint team notes – McLaren

British GP: Sprint team notes – McLaren

[ad_1] Lando Norris: "A good first sprint quali race! I think we achieved everything we could've hoped for today. We got ahead of one of the Red Bulls, which is a quicker car, but we managed to beat them off the start and over the first lap, so it was a fun...

Russell handed grid penalty – Pitpass.com

Russell handed grid penalty – Pitpass.com

[ad_1] George Russell has been handed a 3-place grid penalty for Sunday's British Grand Prix after being adjudged as causing the collision with Carlos Sainz.Having spoken with both drivers and viewed the relevant video evidence, the stewards founds that Russell and...

Leave a comment.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *